The Bastrop County Historical Society Museum was established in 1952. The Society began the collection and preservation of materials, artifacts, and documents relating to the history of the Little Colony of Stephen F. Austin, Bastrop County and the town of Bastrop.
Gathered are many artifacts and records recalling pioneer days in Texas when Bastrop (Mina) was a western frontier colony on the Old San Antonio Road, El Camino Real.
From the early days, Society members solicited a variety of family letters, maps and original historic materials to create a collection that now totals more than 6,000 archival documents, including letters, written histories, newspapers, genealogical data, wills, land records, biographies, military records, obituaries and news articles. The collection also includes more than 4,000 photographs, 230 maps and 460 reference books.
But having materials on hand are not what makes them accessible to researchers, archaeologists and members of the public who are seeking information about their ancestors or Bastrop’s historic past. Archivist Carol Kysar and her team of up to ten volunteers work diligently to examine each archival document and determine how to assign key words to the museum’s searchable database. As many as 150 individuals or organizations communicate with the Library or search its files each year.
Located at 904 Main Street, Bastrop, Texas 78602, take the elevator or walk downstairs to the Museum’s basement to learn what’s available at the Bastrop County Historical Society Research Library!
OPEN DAILY: Monday – Saturday 10am – 5pm & Sunday 1pm – 4pm
Contact Carol Kysar, Archivist, at 512-303-0057 or email: Archivist@bchs1832.org